The former infirmary and fifty-nine (59) acres in the foothills of Black Mountain, NC was purchased in 1958 by the Western North Carolina Conference under the direction of Bishop William Jacob Walls. The camp was officially opened in September 1958 as Camp Dorothy Walls in honor of the wife of Bishop W. Walls.
Under the leadership of Bishops Raymond L. Jones and William Milton Smith, extensive renovations and improvements were completed. The Gymnatorium Complex was constructed in 1996, under the leadership of Bishop Ruben L. Speaks.
Under the leadership of Bishop Cecile Bishop, the $1.2 million mortgage was liquidated. Chapel renovations were completed in 2006 under the leadership of Bishop George W. Walker, Sr., and were rededicated as the John Jamison Moore Chapel on March 24, 2007.
At this time, the Capital Campaign was also launched to develop a state-of-the-art complex to be established as the Camp Dorothy Walls Conference & Retreat Center, Inc., under the leadership of Bishop George E. Battle, Jr., and the Piedmont Episcopal District.
May 21-26, 2013
May 18-23, 2013